Saturday, November 20, 2010

It's Turkey Time

Yesterday, at P's school, was her class's turn to put on the Rocket Touchdown. South Rock Creek's school mascot, if you can call it a mascot, is a Rocket. This is the time of the week when the whole school gathers to be entertained by other classes and hear announcements, awards, and things of the like.

Each year, the Kindergarten class, both, prepare for the Thanksgiving edition. P's teacher, Mrs. Merrell, gave us 2 cardboard cutouts of turkey bodies. The assignment was to decorate the turkey, like a sandwich board, in any way that the student wanted.

Well, as you've seen from our adventures in Halloween costume decisions, this was not an easy task. And, I wanted it to be something that she liked and had a say in. After all, she was the one who was going to wear it. She went from a flamingo, to a zebra, to a Miss Thanksgiving 2010. The flamingo had been done before, it was an example that Mrs. M had shown us. And, the zebra, too. So, I conceded to attempt the Miss Thanksgiving 2010 turkey.

We made a trip to Hancock's to gather our materials. Several versions of seafoam green sequin material for the dress, white satin material for the sash, ribbons and feathers and glue, oh my!

After we got home to attempt the turkey, I thought and thought and looked and looked at what we'd bought and the poster sized turkey bodies and got totally overwhelmed with the thought of pulling out the sewing machine to make a one-time, worn-for-an-hour, school project costume.

So, I begged and pleaded that she re-consider her decision. Meanwhile, Red (I'm channeling The Pioneer Woman by calling Josh a different name than his real one, but everyone who reads this won't care. I'm just saying, I may make it famous some day and the alias will be intriguing) and I went to Austin for the weekend and left the Turkeys at home, including the cardboard cutout.

On Monday, when it was due, I made the executive decision to go with an idea I'd thought of in the beginning- a bikini wearing turkey. It was going to be much simpler to construct and, as it turns out, much more original.



I thought it was hilarious.



No comments:

Post a Comment